Making a Referral
Any healthcare provider practicing in Ontario can refer his or her patients or clients to Smokers’ Helpline by fax at 1 877 513-5334 using a Quit Connection referral form. Minimal contact intervention can be quick, easy and effective, and Smokers’ Helpline will do the rest.
When making a Quit Connection referral, many clinicians will follow the 5 "A"s:
- Ask your patient if he/she uses tobacco.
- Advise your patient to quit.
- Assess your patient’s readiness to quit smoking.
- Assist your patient to quit smoking.
- Arrange follow up by obtaining consent to fax a referral form to Smokers’ Helpline at 1 877 513-5334. Your patient must agree to the terms of the referral and sign the referral form
Tips for making successful referrals:
Bookmark this page
- Make a cessation intervention a systematic part of your patient care
- Keep Quit Connection forms accessible and fully stocked
- Photocopy the form with your contact information already filled out
- Contact Smokers’ Helpline for promotional materials and support
- Once faxed, store the referral form with your patient’s chart